By Our Reporter
Some Ugandan artists have distanced selves from receiving money for caller ring back tunes from telecommunications companies.
On Friday, Mr. Charles Batambuze from Uganda Retro Rights Organization said that one of the years, telecommunications companies collected UGX 78 billions from caller ring back tunes and it was shared among artists, government and the the telecom companies.
“Government took 50%. The telecoms took 70% of the remaining money and the musicians got 30%” He said
Musicians Ykee Bender and the B2C say they have never received a anything.
Through a post on Twitter, B2C asked Ykee Bender if he had received something as Mr. Charles claimed.
“When did this happen really ?? Which Artist received this money ?? This is very sad and they are using our songs We need to do something @YkeeBenda bro u got some money ??” B2C asked.
Ykee retweeted and said: ” Which money my brothers….Batuube kyaagwa! I gave up”
BET award winner Eddy Kenzo said artists agreed and gave up on the money from telecom companies. He narrated a year when pocketed 12M of the 85M he had made from them.
” I remember in 2012 I went to get my money nga waliwo 85M I came back with 12M nga bajeko pay as this pay as that, kaate bantemeko pay as you use keyboard… Uganda banange nze nakiriza era jendi nkola kubanga owekitara bwotamutya tolama.” He said in a post.